Getting Your Child Custody Questions Answered

Getting Your Child Custody Questions Answered

Getting Your Child Custody Questions Answered

When one parent has been awarded child custody rights and the other has visitation rights, you may have many questions. Child custody is not simple and you want to make sure that no matter which side you are on you are abiding by the law and helping ensure your children have the love and support of both parents. When a judge awards physical custody, they are deciding which parent will take care of the child most often (where the child will live physically). When the judge awards legal custody, they are determining who will make the important decisions for the child. 

What does it mean when a judge awards reasonable visitation rights? 

When a judge orders reasonable visitation, it means they are not making any hard and fast rules regarding how often the non-custodial parent will see the child. While this may not always be convenient, divorced partners who are amicable and have flexible schedules may find that this is the best opportunity for the non-custodial parent to see their child. If there is good communication between both parents, reasonable visitation can be a great way to ensure both parents are in their child’s life. 

How would a judge determine a parent’s visitation rights?

A judge will look at various factors when determining how often the non-custodial parent should visit. They will try to establish a routine that works for both parents and the child. If the parents do not agree on visitation rights, this is another instance where a judge will step in and make a schedule based on what they think is in the child’s best interests. 

Can a parent change the visitation order? 

Absolutely. In cases where both parents believe changes should be made and agree on the details, they will have an easier time getting the “okay” from a judge in court. On the other hand, if one parent wants to make changes and the other does not, they will need to argue their case in court. The parent wishing to make the changes will need to show that circumstances have changed and that the new version of visitation will be in the best interest of the child. 

If you have further questions about child custody or visitation rights, you may be looking for lawyers who can help, like child custody lawyers from a law firm like The Law Office of Daniel J. Wright